November 7, 2016
As promised, here’s a list of some great snack ideas with only 15-20 grams of carbohydrate per portion!
One of my biggest issues with T2D is that I’ve believed that less is better. UNTRUE! Skipping snacks can be likened to skipping meals. It disrupts the balance of our blood glucose levels. Therefore, it’s important to include appropriate snacks in our daily food intake.
Maggie, my Registered Dietician and Certified Diabetes Educator, gave me the following ideas, regarding those all important snacks:
- 3 cups popped popcorn (no fat added) or 94% fat free mini microwave bag
- 1/2 cup sugar-free pudding
- 3 cups of any combination of baby carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, celery, cucumber, pea pods, belly peppers, radishes, tomatoes, or zucchini with 1 tablespoon of dip
- 25 Soy Crips
- Kasha TLC Bar
- 15 Kellogg’s Special K Cracker Chips, Sea Salt, Cheddar, or Southwest Ranch
- 5 Reduced Fat Triscuits with 1 teaspoon Almond or Peanut Butter
- 1 Pack Special K Pastry Crips (various flavors)
- 1 cup Edamame beans
- 41 Gold Fish Baked Snack Crackers
- Skinny Cow No sugar added Fudge Bar or Blue Bunny brand
- Fiber One 90 Calorie Brownie
- Nature Valle Dark Chocolate Granola Thins
- Weight Watchers Dark Chocolate Raspberry Ice Cream Bar
- 8 oz. Vanilla or Chocolate Almond Breeze Milk
That’s 15 delicious snack ideas! Visiting your Diabetes Education Center will reap many more snack ideas, along with lots of helpful information. What have you got to lose?
P.S. Important Information: NO FRUIT AT NIGHT! I can’t believe I didn’t remember that. Obviously, it’s important NOT to eat fruit and other sugar-rich foods before bedtime.
REMEMBER: Always check with your physician before making ANY changes to your Diabetic Treatment Plan.